Re: Murray Kucherawy's No Objection on draft-ietf-httpbis-zstd-window-size-02: (with COMMENT)

Hi Murray,

Thank you for the comments.

As far as I know, there were not many widely deployed HTTP clients that
supported zstd until recently. While there is an interoperability risk
today, the publication of this document enables implementations to agree
upon a limit that was previously not consistently enforced, especially with
increasing deployment and adoption of zstd.

When we were rolling out zstd support in Chromium, we saw only some rare
cases of people using a window size of more than 8 MB. For anyone using a 9
MB window size like in your example, the decoding would fail. To better
inform anyone experiencing failures caused by the limit, we added a more
specific error code and additional debugging messages related to window
sizes and decoding failures to help them understand what they need to do in
that situation. It'd be helpful for other HTTP client implementations to
add similar logging.

Best,
Nidhi