Re: Resumable Upload draft updates

On Thu, Jul 25, 2024 at 12:58 PM Lucas Pardue <lucas@lucaspardue.com> wrote:

> Integrity using standardized  HTTP digests is described in
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-resumable-upload-04#name-integrity-digests.
> Integrity for parts, or whole is covered by the Content-Digest or
> Repr-Digest.
>
> During the standardisation of RFC 9530, we did a survey and found many of
> these upload services tend to use the Content-MD5 field to some extent,
> which is sad because it was obsoleted by RFC 7231 due to implementation
> inconsistencies.

Ah, ok. I didn't know that one got finished. This sounds like a fine
approach. Here's the Amazon way (for other readers, sounds like the authors
have made an informed decision):

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonS3/latest/userguide/checking-object-integrity.html

Not necessarily MD5, but it can be. I think a lot of those applications
don't really care about standardization, because they expect people to use
their client SDKs anyway.

thanks,
Rob