Re: Updates to "optimistic upgrade"

Ben,

> On Jul 11, 2024, at 11:02 AM, Ben Schwartz <bemasc@meta.com> wrote:
> #2818 - Deprecate the "HTTP" and "TLS" upgrade tokens
>
> From discussion on the list, it seems like we have consensus that "Upgrade: HTTP/2.0" is not a standards-compliant header field.  This PR amends the IANA registry [2] to make that clearer.  It also deprecates "Upgrade: TLS/1.2" and marks the corresponding RFC as Historic.

I've added the following comment to this PR:

    Note that the Internet Printing Protocol (STD 92) REQUIRES support for TLS
    upgrade when the printer supports TLS. Since TLS has been a standard features
    of most network printers since 2012 (and was in most enterprise printers
    prior to that), you can expect somewhere north of 2 billion network printers
    support it...

    I understand wanting to deprecate TLS upgrade for ordinary web browser
    traffic where proxies are commonly used that don't know how to deal with the
    Upgrade: header at all, but TLS upgrade *is* used for printing.

Michael Sweet