Re: Understanding application/http

On 19/03/24 01:41, Rahul Gupta wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is a question that I have been looking to understand for some time, and I am hoping that since this is IETF week, someone might indulge me!
>
> Where does the media-type `application/http` in RFC9112 come from?

FWIW, the media type(s) for HTTP have been around since at least the
beginning of HTTP/1.0. I'm not sure myself where or why they were
created. Maybe on of the OG will remember.

> Where is it used?

These days, in protocols which wrap whole HTTP messages to transmit them
- such as <https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc8188.html>.

> And are there any examples of its use in the wild?

VPN and CDN systems are the most likely place to find it. Though I
cannot point at any particular ones.

HTH
Amos