Re: No-Vary-Search

On Wed, Mar 13, 2024 at 11:11 PM Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> wrote:

> Hi Jeremy,
>
> I don't think we've talked about it formally in the HTTP WG before, but
> some folks might recall that No-Vary-Search was discussed at the last HTTP
> Workshop:
>
> https://github.com/HTTPWorkshop/workshop2022/blob/main/talks/no-vary-search.pdf
>
> I personally think it would be good to do this work in the HTTP WG,
> because it's not just browsers that want to do this -- it's also a common
> use case for proxy caches and CDNs. However, the interaction with being
> able to store more than one variant (which browsers currently don't do)
> needs to be thought through.

While one variant would be more typical, the implementation in Chromium's
prefetch cache is compatible with there being multiple stored -- though of
course proxy caches and CDNs are still likely to have a larger number of
variants.

If we were to implement No-Vary-Search in Chromium's disk cache, yes, I
believe our current cache architecture would pose some challenges.

> *chair hat on*
>
> We've got a pretty tight agenda in Brisbane, but if you're interested, we
> might be able to squeeze in 5-10 minutes for a _very_ quick overview
> followed by discussion. Please tell us if you'd like to try.

Unfortunately it is not possible for me to join personally (time zones and
personal complications). We might be able to brief a Chrome team member who
is attending if there is interest (depending when this is), though as you
point out it would necessarily be a fairly brief overview on short notice
(so it might not be possible).

Whether or not that happens, I'd be interested to hear what other folks