Re: Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-jaju-httpbis-zstd-window-size-00.txt

On Mon, Mar 4, 2024 at 8:57 PM Nidhi Jaju <nidhijaju@google.com> wrote:

> Hi Martin,
>
> Thanks for taking a look and the comments!
>
> I agree that `Content-Encoding: zstd` should mean that encoders use <=
8MB and decoders support >= 8MB. This is key, and if there's a better way
to word that, I'd love suggestions.

> The part that you mentioned about decoders being able to support a
different limit was added as an attempt to explain that deployments of zstd
operating in a private environment that don't care about interoperability
should negotiate it out-of-band. Maybe I could change that text to
something along the lines of:
>   "Decoders that wish to support a lower limit and encoders that wish to
emit
>   frames requiring a larger window size MUST negotiate the limit
out-of-band."

> What do you think? Also, do we need to address this case at all? It
specifically only applies in situations where endpoints aren't trying to
interoperate beyond a short list of peers.

The sad fact is that every file will go across the Internet, or some
suitably Internety segment of a network at least once and usually many
times. Containment is not likely.

> Best,
> Nidhi
>
> On Tue, Mar 5, 2024 at 1:12 PM Martin Thomson <mt@lowentropy.net> wrote:
>>
>> This seems fine.  And 8M is a fine choice of limit.
>>
>> However, I don't think that ㄟ( ▔, ▔ )ㄏ is a good interoperability
strategy:

>> > Decoders are free to support higher or lower limits, depending on
local limitations, if negotiated out-of-band. Many deployments of Zstandard
operate in controlled, private environments and can directly communicate
with their encoder and decoder to negotiate a higher or lower limit.

>> I think that it is obvious that decoders could support more.  But
supporting less would not be following the standard.  The same goes for an
encoder that wants a larger window.

>> We should encourage people to choose a different way of identifying that
content-coding.  In other words, encoding > 8M or decoding < 8M is not

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ijP7yc6UXZVgzpXDVmBa7h70gxLpFcqdlOZzL3DRT_0/edit#heading=h.xn2d3li0b8op

nidhijaju@google.com>

>> > A new version of Internet-Draft
draft-jaju-httpbis-zstd-window-size-00.txt has

https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-jaju-httpbis-zstd-window-size-00.txt

https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-jaju-httpbis-zstd-window-size-00.html

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-jaju-httpbis-zstd-window-size