From: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2024 5:14 PM
To: Michael Sweet <msweet@msweet.org>
Cc: David Schinazi <dschinazi.ietf@gmail.com>; HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Link-local connectivity in Web browsers

On Thu, Feb 22, 2024 at 07:04:33AM -0500, Michael Sweet wrote:
> >> 2. Locally-Unique Addresses (ULAs) can be assigned automatically and are better supported by the various client OS's than the RFC 4007 default scope for link-local addresses.
> >
> > I am not aware of schemes that would automatically assign ULAs, would love a reference.
> > I have written a scheme based on network wide configuration/autoprovisioning (RFC8994), but
> > i am not aware of any similar solutions like that widely used.
>
> Enterprise networks often make use of ULAs, and that is where I would expect them to be used most often since 'normal users' don't typically have the expertise to set those things up.

Sure, but there is no "assigned automatically" the way i understand it. YOu may have
meant something different, so maybe its not a sufficiently well defined term.

But in any case, ULA like global addresses do require additional address allocation/management
operations which may not have happened and/or which may not be desirable to be required,
so the underlying interest at least IMHO from the IPv6 networking world is to figure out
what the sanest way is to support LLA across all representations where they may be needed
including browsers. That's nonwithstanding that we wuold want to minimize the need
for having to use any IPv6 address by normal users under normal circumstances.

Cheers
    toerless