Re: Adoption call for draft-schwartz-httpbis-optimistic-upgrade

On Thu, Jan 25, 2024 at 03:59:46PM +0000, Ben Schwartz wrote:
> Hi Glenn,
>
> I agree, the standardization status of "Upgrade: HTTP/2.0" seems to be ambiguous.  In this draft version, I attempted to address it for completeness without implying that it actually exists.  I'm happy to delete or rework that section as needed.
>
> --Ben

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-schwartz-httpbis-optimistic-upgrade/
Section 5.1.  "HTTP"
> A version number of "2.0" corresponds to HTTP/2.  Every HTTP/2
> connection begins with a Client Connection Preface (Section 3.4 of
> [RFC9113]) that was selected to ensure that a compliant HTTP/1.1
> server will not process further data on this connection.  This avoids
> security issues if an "HTTP/2.0" Upgrade Token is used
> optimistically.

I propose that this paragraph be removed or replaced, since an RFC for
Upgrade: HTTP/2.0 is an Expired Internet-Draft [1]

Instead of the Upgrade: HTTP/2.0 token, the paragraph could instead
reference HTTP/2 prior knowledge, e.g.:

"Every HTTP/2 connection begins with a Client Connection Preface
(Section 3.4 of [RFC9113]) that was selected to ensure that a compliant
HTTP/1.1 server will not process further data on this connection as
HTTP/1.1 request(s).  This avoids security issues if a client sends the
HTTP/2 Connection Preface over a clear-text connection to an HTTP/2
server supporting HTTP/2 prior knowledge (Section 3.3 of [RFC9113])."

Cheers, Glenn

[1] HTTP 2.0 Negotiation draft-montenegro-httpbis-http2-negotiation-01
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-montenegro-httpbis-http2-negotiation