Re: New Version Notification for draft-momoka-httpbis-settings-enable-websockets-00.txt

On Tue, Feb 28, 2023 at 04:12:21PM +0800, Momoka Yamamoto wrote:
> Hello,
> I have submitted a new revision of this
> draft draft-momoka-httpbis-settings-enable-websockets.
>

> The proposed parameter will be useful if an active HTTP/2 (or HTTP/3)
> connection to the server already exists when a document with a wss:/ URL is
> loaded. The browser can then choose whether to try opening the WebSocket
> stream over the connection, as the proposed SETTINGS_ENABLE_WEBSOCKETS has
> likely been received by that point.
>
> However, the proposed parameter won't be useful when a browser tries to
> establish a new connection because the SETTINGS will not be received when a
> decision to use HTTP/2 or HTTP/1 is made.

Some comments:

- Does setting SETTINGS_ENABLE_WEBSOCKETS=1 imply support for necressary
  parts of extended connect, or does server also need to send
  SETTINGS_ENABLE_CONNECT_PROTOCOL=1?

- I don't think the default for SETTINGS_ENABLE_WEBSOCKETS should be 0,
  as I think absence of SETTINGS_ENABLE_WEBSOCKETS is different from
  SETTINGS_ENABLE_WEBSOCKETS=0. Later signals that websockets is not
  supported, the former together with SETTINGS_ENABLE_CONNECT_PROTOCOL=1
  signals that websockets may be supported (as there are currently
  servers that support websockets and behave that way).

-Ilari