Re: New Version Notification for draft-momoka-httpbis-settings-enable-websockets-00.txt

On Tue, Feb 28, 2023 at 04:12:21PM +0800, Momoka Yamamoto wrote:
> Hello,
> I have submitted a new revision of this
> draft draft-momoka-httpbis-settings-enable-websockets.

Why should SETTINGS_ENABLE_WEBSOCKETS be added to HTTP/2, HTTP/3, HTTP/X
protocols instead of using existing service discovery mechanisms such as
alt-svc or the proposed alt-svcb?
https://martinthomson.github.io/alt-svcb/draft-thomson-httpbis-alt-svcb.html

There is already SETTINGS_ENABLE_CONNECT_PROTOCOL and the proposed
SETTINGS_ENABLE_WEBSOCKETS would be a specific subset of that.
While websockets is important to many apps, is this subset important
enough to add its own setting to multiple HTTP protocol versions and
to be advertised as part of every single HTTP/2 and HTTP/3 request?
Might there be settings created for other protocols that leverage
SETTINGS_ENABLE_CONNECT_PROTOCOL?  Why should a new SETTING be created
for websockets and not for ... ?

Cheers, Glenn