Re: Call for Adoption: HTTP Unprompted Authentication

No offense to Chris, but ugh. Cookies have value, but they're still fundamentally at odds with the architectural style derived from reality. The entire notion of unprompted authentication is a red flag to me, architecturally speaking, especially to support a niche use-case.

I don't see this as a "super cookie," but I can't put my finger on why it worries me along those lines, as an end-run around how HTTP Auth "should" work, at least in what's left of my brain. Mainstream or niche, to me, any use-case should conform to... well... my notion of "proper" architecture. See "Minority Report" lol, this is pre-crime...

-Eric

---- On Tue, 07 Feb 2023 12:41:02 -0800 Christopher Wood <caw@heapingbits.net> wrote ---

I'm supportive of adopting this draft on the basis of the desired use cases. They may be rather niche -- and should likely be added to the draft [0] -- but I understand them to have value.

I do have some questions about the technical contents, which I've filed issues to track [1,2,3,4,5]. I'm happy to help seek resolution of those on GitHub.

Are there any implementations of this mechanism yet? I would be happy to help provide an implementation of the server piece for interop tests.

Best,
Chris

[0] https://github.com/DavidSchinazi/draft-schinazi-httpbis-transport-auth/issues/22
[1] https://github.com/DavidSchinazi/draft-schinazi-httpbis-transport-auth/issues/17