Re: [Technical Errata Reported] RFC9110 (7109)

Am 31.08.2022 um 18:50 schrieb RFC Errata System:
> The following errata report has been submitted for RFC9110,
> "HTTP Semantics".
>
> --------------------------------------
> You may review the report below and at:
> https://www.rfc-editor.org/errata/eid7109
>
> --------------------------------------
> Type: Technical
> Reported by: Gary Wilson Jr. <gary.wilson@gmail.com>
>
> Section: 15.4.9
>
> Original Text
> -------------
>     The 308 (Permanent Redirect) status code indicates that the target
>     resource has been assigned a new permanent URI and any future
>     references to this resource ought to use one of the enclosed URIs.
>
> Corrected Text
> --------------
>     The 308 (Permanent Redirect) status code indicates that the target
>     resource has been assigned a new permanent URI and any future
>     references to this resource ought to use one of the enclosed URIs.
>     The user agent MUST NOT change the request method if it performs
>     an automatic redirection to that URI.
>
> and/or add note as is present in RFC 7538, e.g.:
>
>        Note: This status code is similar to 301 (Moved Permanently)
>        (Section 15.4.2), except that it does not allow changing
>        the request method from POST to GET.
>
> Notes
> -----
> The current text in this section for 308 Permanent Redirect does not include any mention of the user agent not changing the request method. I am suggesting that similar wording be used as in 15.4.8.  307 Temporary Redirect and/or a note added similar to the one present in RFC 7538 but excluded from this section's current text. Whichever is chosen, it would be good to make the wording/notes consistent across both the 307 and 308 status code sections.
>
> Instructions:
> -------------
> This erratum is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please
> use "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or
> rejected. When a decision is reached, the verifying party
> can log in to change the status and edit the report, if necessary.
>
> --------------------------------------
> RFC9110 (draft-ietf-httpbis-semantics-19)
> --------------------------------------
> Title               : HTTP Semantics
> Publication Date    : June 2022
> Author(s)           : R. Fielding, Ed., M. Nottingham, Ed., J. Reschke, Ed.
> Category            : INTERNET STANDARD
> Source              : HTTP
> Area                : Applications and Real-Time
> Stream              : IETF
> Verifying Party     : IESG

The text is entirely correct and consistent with what the spec says
about code 307. 301 and 302 are the exceptions and thus carry notes
about potential method rewriting.

Best regards, Julian

--
<green/>bytes GmbH, Hafenweg 16, D-48155 Münster, Germany
Amtsgericht Münster: HRB5782