Re: Byte range PATCH

On Thu, Aug 4, 2022, at 08:23, Austin William Wright wrote:

> … which is not currently well-formed (the "last-pos" is missing).
> However, maybe it should be. HTTP supports indefinite length responses
> (since HTTP/1.1), which can stream forever. Except this is not possible
> in partial content responses, and maybe it should be.

That, I think, points to Julian's solution.  Imagine that the content of the message is something like this:

1. (optionally) a declaration of the total length of the thing you are intending to update (not sure about this one, frankly; it might just be better to have a signal that says "this is the end of the resource" or even a flag for "the last byte of this message is the last byte of the resource")

2. one or more chunks of data each with:

  a. a starting offset (maybe relative to the end of the previous one, or a gap)
  b. some number of bytes, with a length prefix

Encoding that in a binary format is almost trivial.  And far easier to process than what you have described.