Re: Byte range PATCH

Am 03.08.2022 um 01:11 schrieb Austin William Wright:
> Hello HTTP WG,
>
> I’m writing to pursue standardization of a PATCH media type to perform
> writes at specific offsets. This may be especially relevant to
> draft-tus-httpbis-resumable-uploads-protocol-02, if adopted. It can also
> serve as the foundation for other features, like segmented uploading,
> finishing indexes in video files, or other operations that require
> editing at specific positions in a file.
>
> I wrote and published draft-wright-http-patch-byterange-00
> <https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-wright-http-patch-byterange-00.html> for
> your consideration. Please let me know your thoughts.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Austin.

Hi Austin,

it's a good idea to work on the media type for byte range patches.

That said, adding another text-based multipart format makes me shudder
due to all the inherent problems in parsing field names and choosing
separator lines.

I believe a simpler, binary format would be a better choice.

Best regards, Julian