Re: Draft v1 Update for Resumable Uploads

> On Jun 19, 2022, at 21:39, Eric J Bowman <mellowmutt@zoho.com> wrote:
>

> >> PATCH with media-type application/tus-v2 may be a better solution
> >> as you can define the body any way that you like, which may include a
> >> custom (header) section in the body containing metadata such as the
> >> information you can not currently describe in Content-Range.
> >>

> > Content-Range requires the range to include the end offset which is not
> > always available. We need something like “Content-Range: 42-/*” ...
> >

> Suggest multipart/vnd.tus, pending registration of multipart/tus after receiving feedback, as a PATCH media type. Multipart explicitly allows "42-/*" as a boundary, however you want to define it within your media type. No custom headers needed. If, of course, you insist on not just using FTP or WebDAV. ;)

Using multipart is an interesting idea. We dismissed it initially because we are just sending one part, and also the multipart handling requires HTTP/1 style field parsing and boundary-style delimitation which is usually a less traversed and less performant code path. We will look into it again and evaluate if it’s the best option available.

Guoye