Re: Draft for Resumable Uploads

From: Guoye Zhang <guoye_zhang@apple.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2022 19:40:38 -0700
Cc: Roy Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com>, Marius Kleidl <marius@transloadit.com>, ietf-http-wg@w3.org
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>

> On Apr 1, 2022, at 6:30 PM, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> wrote:
>

>> On 2 Apr 2022, at 6:30 am, Guoye Zhang <guoye_zhang@apple.com> wrote:
>>
>> Unfortunately, we’ve determined that 1xx response is too unreliable for critical information. Many middleboxes drop it, and most client frameworks do not expose it. Therefore we only use it for feature detection and none of the critical functionalities depend on it.
>
> That's something you should re-examine. When running over HTTPS and especially HTTP/2 (or /3), it's been found sufficiently reliable; e.g., see browsers' emerging deployments of 103 Early Hints.
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> Mark Nottingham   https://www.mnot.net/

Yes, we have looked at Early Hints. It is a performance optimization and the loss of this response does not prevent any features from working.

We hope that tus-v2 can be implemented either by the HTTP libraries themselves, or applications on top of it. For example, JavaScript `fetch` API does not expose 1xx responses at all. If we put any important info in intermediate responses, it would make the protocol unimplementable in JavaScript.

Guoye