Re: SETTINGS_ENABLE_CONNECT_PROTOCOL and new protocols

Hi Lucas,

On Wed, Nov 03, 2021 at 05:17:41PM +0000, Lucas Pardue wrote:
> Dare I say that it sounds like we are reinventing RFC 2774[1]?
>
> Section 7 defines the 510 Not Extended status code:
>
>    The policy for accessing the resource has not been met in the
>    request.  The server should send back all the information necessary
>    for the client to issue an extended request. It is outside the scope
>    of this specification to specify how the extensions inform the
>    client.
>
>    If the 510 response contains information about extensions that were
>    not present in the initial request then the client MAY repeat the
>    request if it has reason to believe it can fulfill the extension
>    policy by modifying the request according to the information provided
>    in the 510 response. Otherwise the client MAY present any entity
>    included in the 510 response to the user, since that entity may
>    include relevant diagnostic information.
>

> [1] - https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc2774

I could be nit-picking here but I don't see a failure to connect using
a specific protocol as a failure to reach an extension. We do use the
extended CONNECT because it was already advertised as available, it's
only the application-level protocol that's not available. Hence I tend
to think that 501 is very close (no protocol stack is implemented for
the requested protocol name). However I would see 510 as perfectly
suited for an extended CONNECT sent over a connection that did not
advertise support for it in the first place (except that here it's
done using H2 after negotiating a setting).

Willy