Re: Advertising WebSocket support in the HTTPS resource record

On Wed, Oct 20, 2021, 12:54 PM Lucas Pardue <lucaspardue.24.7@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 5:35 PM Ben Schwartz <bemasc@google.com> wrote:
>

>> My expectation is that the supported :protocols are handled like the
>> supported paths: the client knows which one it needs from the URI (e.g.
>> wss://..., https://.../foo), and the origin had better support it if it
>> is advertising those URIs anywhere.  I don't think we need a pre-connection
>> hint about the supported :protocols.
>>

> I don't follow. That implies the server would present different pages to a
> client based on the protocol that the client connected with.

No, I'm trying to say the opposite of that.  These things are properties of
the origin, not any specific endpoint or transport.

> If it does, and finds that the server doesn't support the protocol that it
> wants, then the request will fail, and the client wasted its time.

Sure.  That's just like a 404, and the solution is the same: don't tell
your users to send requests that your origin doesn't support.