Re: Advertising WebSocket support in the HTTPS resource record

On Wed, 20 Oct 2021, 17:11 Ben Schwartz, <bemasc@google.com> wrote:

> Rather than optimize the performance of origins that use WebSockets, and
> support HTTP/2 and HTTP/3, but only support WebSockets on HTTP/1.1, I would
> prefer to encourage server deployment of WebSockets support on all HTTP
> versions.  We could also consider documenting a parallel connection
> strategy for clients, if it's important to avoid a fallback delay.

That's an interesting point. Extended CONNECT isn't just for Websockets, as
we are seeing with MASQUE developments. So I would expect cases where a
server only :protocol connect-udp and NOT websockets, or vice versa. So to
make this type of thing work, it seems like what is needed is a protocol
hint (singular or a list) too.