Re: Port 80 deprecation

On 2021-06-08 19:51, Rafal Pietrak wrote:
> Sir,
>
> W dniu 07.06.2021 o 22:55, Paul Vixie pisze:
>> On Mon, Jun 07, 2021 at 04:11:08PM +0200, Rafal Pietrak wrote:
>>> Hi Everyone,
>>>
>>> This is not my field (and I apologise to cut in), but...
>>>
>>> If not a list of "unnecessary" encryption, may be a list of "know
>>> cases", where in "ordinary use", there is little to gain by
>>> encryption.
>>>
>>> ...since it is usually good know (explicitly) the state of the
>>> matter.
>>>
>>> -R
>>
>> thank you for your wisdom. i fear that the decision of when to encrypt
>> will
>> already have been taken, perhaps at birth or in university, and that
>> advice
>> received later won't be heeded.

IMO it depends on how the advice is presented.

The document suggested may be better phrased as the current known
limitations *preventing* HTTPS use everywhere. Use-cases where TLS fails
outright, or can lead to unwanted behaviours. That should get support
from both sides of the debate towards writing it.

Amos