Re: Port 80 deprecation

On 2021-06-02 11:15 p.m., Paul Vixie wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 03, 2021 at 12:23:08AM +0000, Adrien de Croy wrote:
> >
> > Let's not get ahead of ourselves.
> >
> > Port 80 is still heavily used.
> >
> > Suggest revisiting this idea in maybe 50 years.
>
> TCP/80 will remain in use for vm-internal and hypervisor-scale API's
> for much longer than 50 years. it's nice that we have a null-crypto
> option on TCP/443 now, but negotiating that across shared silicon when
> the endpoints all share a von neumann domain is complexity we would
> never be grateful for. it may also have a long life on disconnected
> LANs.
>
> so, +2.

Have you heard of asymmetric PAKE (TLS-SRP)? It's kinda, perfect for LAN
(and by extension VM-internal/hypervisor-scale). Would be great to
replace TCP/80 with PAKEs on TCP/443 and UDP/443.

There are definitely enough paths for the deprecation of TCP/80. We just
have to use them. Less error prone than DIY CA and doesn't involve
configuring null-crypto.