Nice to have guidance (was: Re: Reprioritization - implementation intent)

Hi Eric,

Just responding to your side note

On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 6:56 PM Eric Kinnear <ekinnear@apple.com> wrote:

> Side note:
>
> For the document as a whole, we’ve gotten some feedback internally that it
> would be really nice if there were some (minimal, recommendation only)
> guidance as to how to respond to the priority signals when received. This
> wouldn’t be restrictive, as we’re really excited to experiment here and see
> what awesome results we can achieve, but having a baseline of “implement
> this as written and you’ll do *okay” *might be worth considering to
> increase the likelihood that we have a large group of generally-performant
> implementations.
>
> An example here would be if two requests of the same urgency arrive
> back-to-back, the first with the incremental bit set and the second
> without. What gets sent when? What do you do next if a third request
> arrives with the incremental bit also set before the first is complete?
> There are lots and lots of permutations, but a general approach of handling
> new items coming in is something that I think we’ve all been imagining
> during discussions, but we haven’t really written it down explicitly.
> Internally, as we discussed with some folks new to the topic, we discovered
> that our imaginations of what to do in cases like these didn’t actually
> align as well as we thought.

Thanks for your feedback. I think this is orthogonal to the
reprioritization issue so I've created
https://github.com/httpwg/http-extensions/issues/1232 to capture your
comments. I think this might have some cross over with
https://github.com/httpwg/http-extensions/issues/1216 so if you coud take
at look at those and add anything more to them it would be appreciated.

Cheers
Lucas