Re: [TLS] Application-Layer Protocol Settings

Hi Martin,

You’re right that this is closely related to half-RTT data. However, I
don’t think this is a no-op for HTTP/2.

I’m not aware of HTTP/2 clients that wait for the SETTINGS frame today.
Doing so costs a round-trip with servers that don’t send SETTINGS in
half-RTT, and there's no indicator for whether the server will send it.
I’ll see about testing some sites here and will report back, but I expect
most do not. We (correctly) designed TLS 1.3 as a drop-in replacement for
TLS 1.2, which means that we don't get to key new I/O patterns on it.
Half-RTT data is a very weird state and wouldn’t get used by default. This
is the problem with “no standards change is required” style of thinking
around simply changing I/O patterns. A protocol is more than its wire
image. Changing the I/O patterns is a protocol change.

This means we cannot get efficient and reliable feature negotiation today.
Moreover, HTTP/2 servers today may send ServerHello..Finished without
application data in their first flight, so we need *some* change to the TLS
flight, be it ALPS or just some indicator.

Let’s look at what it’d take to make half-RTT SETTINGS work. We need some
“I will send half-RTT data, so you can safely wait for it” indicator. Then
the client needs to know when it is done waiting. We could say it’s one
SETTINGS frame, but that only allows integer values. (Related:
EXTENDED_SETTINGS
<https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-bishop-httpbis-extended-settings-01.html>
and discussion
<https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg/2016JulSep/0127.html>.)
Those currently need separate frames, and one cannot wait for the absence
of a frame. Maybe we need an HTTP-level
SETTINGS_WILL_SEND_HALF_RTT_XYZ_FRAME indicator to keep the delimiter in
HTTP, or a TLS-level “end of half-RTT data” delimiter. (Now consider how
that works in QUIC...)

Next we need to tackle 0-RTT. Waiting for half-RTT data costs a round-trip
in 0-RTT, so we need something to persist across the session, with
semantics around mismatch and whatnot. (Another TLS-visible change.)
Anything persisted in the session must have bounded size, and be delivered
in something ordered with NewSessionTicket.

If we place those bytes inside the handshake, we’ve reinvented ALPS. If we
place them outside, the NewSessionTicket ordering becomes complex,
especially in QUIC
<https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/2945#issuecomment-519338186>.
To your question about the server repeating its configuration vs. the
client remembering it, I believe the issue was exactly that ordering
mishap. ALPS avoids this because EncryptedExtensions and NewSessionTicket
are ordered.

On top of this, the half-RTT point in a non-0-RTT connection is a weird
state. Not all connection properties (e.g. client certs) have been
established yet, and writes out of turn are tricky. This message
<https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/tls/hymweZ66b2C8nnYyXF8cwj7qopc/>
discusses
some of the challenges here. I would argue something like ALPS is the
settings design we should have had all along.

David