Re: New Version Notification for draft-nottingham-bikeshed-length-00.txt

From: Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2020 23:32:31 +0100
To: Martin Thomson <mt@lowentropy.net>
Cc: ietf-http-wg@w3.org
On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 08:34:08AM +1100, Martin Thomson wrote:
> Do we want approximation or a cap on size?
>
> An upper bound is good for some of the use cases we see.  An estimate for the
> other cases.

In case of a stream it's not necessarily known in advance, think for
example of a postscript processor sending to a printer and used to
display the %complete on the printer's LCD. However if sent as a
rough estimate it can still be extremely wrong and suddenly catch
up when reachin the end. You don't mind if your printer's LCD
"%complete" is wrong as long as it continues to make progress.

Willy