Re: New Version Notification for draft-nottingham-bikeshed-length-00.txt

From: Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2020 17:11:30 +0100
To: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc: Cory Benfield <cory@lukasa.co.uk>, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 03:53:32PM +0000, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> --------
> In message <CAH_hAJGU=2OG-QRKSiauTFzHxLXdUBAc4ngLy93b-b3MbNLiKA@mail.gmail.com>
> , Cory Benfield writes:
>
> >As with Willy and Martin, I think it would be good for this draft to
> >explicitly allow fuzziness in the field value. Otherwise, the draft
> >seems reasonable, and I'd implement it.
>
> We could make it explictly fuzzy, by definting it as kilobytes rounded down ?

I think it's an excellent idea, which even goes in the direction of
reducing the on-wire bytes. And given todays connections speeds, if we
use it only for progress bars it could even represent megabytes rounded
to the nearest. Less than 0.5 will usually not take more than a few
seconds and not deserve showing an accurate progress bar.

Willy