Re: Working Group Last Call: Structured Headers for HTTP

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2020 17:13:49 +1100
Cc: Tommy Pauly <tpauly@apple.com>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
To: "Julian F. Reschke" <julian.reschke@gmx.de>

> On 25 Feb 2020, at 5:08 pm, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:
>
> I understand that. What trips me up is that we we have to different
> cases: one in which the shorter notation MUST be used, one in which it
> MUST NOT be used. Am I the only one who thinks that this is sub-optimal?
>
> In a perfect world, the serialization should not depend on the context
> it appears in. I understand that this is a trade-off, but it would be
> good to see more context about how we got there, and whether
> alternatives were discussed.

If you're referring to the case of a Boolean as a Dictionary value (and it would be good if you confirmed that this is what you had in mind; if you're talking about Booleans wherever they might appear, I don't know how that would work), it was considered, but IIRC it would have required a substantially more complicated parsing algorithm, because of cases like this:

Example-Field: ;param=on-default-boolean

Parameter values are comparatively simpler, because they can't have any further substructure.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   https://www.mnot.net/