Re: draft-ietf-httpbis-header-structure-15.txt, 4.1.6. Serializing a String

On 19 Feb 2020, at 4:08 am, Kari Hurtta <hurtta-ietf@elmme-mailer.org> wrote:

> Well, I disagree that this is ready.
>
> 4.1.5.  Serializing a Decimal
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-header-structure-15#section-4.1.5
>
> tries define rounding.
>
> This means that input_decimal is NOT decimal as defined on
>
> 3.3.2.  Decimals
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-header-structure-15#section-3.3.2
>
> So that this is consistent
>

> 4.1.6.  Serializing a String
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-header-structure-15#section-4.1.6
>

> input_string is NOT string as defined on
>
> 3.3.3.  Strings
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-header-structure-15#section-3.3.3
>

> So let input_decimal to be some kind generic/abstract decimal number and
> therefore input_string to be some kind generic/abstract string.

See discussion and proposal at:
  https://github.com/httpwg/http-extensions/issues/1055

> Make this failure more explicit. For example:
>
>  1.  Convert input_string into an ASCII string ascii_string; if
>      conversion fails, fail serialisation.
>
>  2.  If ascii_string contains characters in the range %x00-1f or
>      %x7f (i.e., is not in VCHAR or SP), fail serialisation.
>
>  3.  Let output be an empty string.
>
>  4.  Append DQUOTE to output.
>

>  5. For each character char in ascii_string:
>
>     and so on

That makes sense; likewise for tokens and keys. I've added a note to deal with this in #1055.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   https://www.mnot.net/