Re: GET / DELETE request bodies

From: Cory Benfield <cory@lukasa.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2020 09:53:57 +0000
To: Rob Sayre <sayrer@gmail.com>
Cc: "ietf-http-wg@w3.org Group" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
The semantic requirement missing is that DELETE bodies have no
spec-defined semantics. This is not that they can't have semantics, or
that they shouldn't have spec-defined semantics, only that no
specification has ever said what a body in a DELETE request means.
They never have. The result of this is that DELETES with bodies aren't
interoperable: while they may work with a specific service, that
service has defined a special-case for itself. Arbitrary
implementations are free to ignore DELETE requests with bodies, or
reject them, or do anything else they like with them.

The relevant section of the HTTP specification that discusses what it
means for a message body to have semantics is RFC 7231 ยง 3.3 (Payload
Semantics) (https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7231#section-3.3).