Call for Adoption: Extensible Prioritization Scheme for HTTP

From: Tommy Pauly <tpauly@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2019 15:28:18 +0800
To: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
Hello HTTPbis,

During our IETF 106 meetings, we received updates from the design team for updating HTTP's priority hinting mechanism, with the goals of defining priorities for HTTP/3 and allowing this scheme to be backported to HTTP/2.

The output of the design team is documented in this draft: https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-kazuho-httpbis-priority-04

This draft defines:
- A SETTINGS parameter to disable the HTTP/2 priority mechanism
- Two priority values, urgency (0-7), and incremental (boolean)
- Mechanisms to communicate these priority values using headers and frames

This email begins a call for Working Group adoption of this draft. Note that adoption indicates that we, as a working group, want to use draft-kazuho-httpbis-priority as a basis for the definition of priorities for HTTP/3. There is still ongoing discussion that will continue, specifically around the mechanism for end-to-end and hop-by-hop signaling.

This call will end on Friday, December 6. Please reply to this email and indicate whether or not you believe we should adopt this document!

Best,
Tommy & Mark