Re: Redirection to Other IP Addresses

On Mon, Jul 29, 2019 at 9:46 AM Ben Schwartz <bemasc@google.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 29, 2019 at 3:40 AM Oliver, Wesley, Vodacom South Africa
> (External) <Wesley.Oliver@vcontractor.co.za> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to suggest, that this not be a specific response code, like
>> 312 or 302. That it just be a response header, that gets checked by
>> Inteligent clients, would then always check for the new address and port
>> on which to contact the server,
>>

> You're in luck: this is precisely the Alt-Svc header (RFC 7838).  You can
> use this today!
>
> Not all clients currently implement full support for this header, but
> hopefully that will improve over time.

I think the issue OP is raising is that they want some deterministic
behavior from the client, dictated by the server. Alt-Svc doesn't do this:
it's advisory. As a result, it can be used as an optimization, but some
kind of load balancer for the original service is still required for
clients that do not react to Alt-Svc (should that population be large
enough), or when the target Alt-Svc is down. As long as that's within OP's
constraints, I agree Alt-Svc is precisely the right solution.