Re: HTTP/3 Prioritization Proposal

From: Lucas Pardue <lucaspardue.24.7@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2019 05:32:05 +0900
To: Patrick McManus <mcmanus@ducksong.com>
Cc: Patrick Meenan <patmeenan@gmail.com>, Amos Jeffries <squid3@treenet.co.nz>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On Wed, 30 Jan 2019, 05:09 Patrick McManus <mcmanus@ducksong.com wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 29, 2019 at 2:56 PM Patrick Meenan <patmeenan@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> As far as I can tell, the placeholder streams serve to handle the Firefox
>> use case of using idle streams for groupings,
>>

>  yes.. and you can probably solve for that in a simpler way by having an
> explicit set of groups with simple ways to share between them.

The way I see it, H3 placeholders obsolete idle and unused streams. They
replace that with an abstract concept of a "thing" with no meaningful
default weight or dependecy parent (actual vals are 16 and root)

> But what I think you really need to do with your proposal is address what
> you're giving up by removing the tree structure because it was an explicit
> choice to include it.

A tree of minimal depth (1-deep) could function pretty well. I think
addressing the gap from both sides cimould help identify it's size. Is the
size large due to following points quoted text?