Re: HTTP/2 Server Push and solid compression

From: Matthew Kerwin <matthew@kerwin.net.au>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2019 08:46:26 +1000
To: Ilari Liusvaara <ilariliusvaara@welho.com>
Cc: Felipe Gasper <felipe@felipegasper.com>, Alan Egerton <eggyal@gmail.com>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On Wed, 22 May 2019 at 04:10, Ilari Liusvaara <ilariliusvaara@welho.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 21, 2019 at 01:51:27PM -0400, Felipe Gasper wrote:
> >
> > Possibly … does h2 multiplexing use a separate compression context
> > for each stream, or does it funnel each message through the same
> > context? If the former, then I would think it’s a non-issue since
> > streams are processed sequentially.
>
> AFAIK, HTTP/2 can not compress message bodies. The mechanism HTTP/1.x
> had to compress message bodies (Transfer-Encoding) was removed.

Just because it's not in the spec, doesn't mean it can't be in *a* spec. [1]

> And even the HTTP/1.x mechanism used separate context for each
> request or response.

Yeah, the argument for TE was more for sub-resource compression
(request a byte range from an identity-encoded resource, like a log
file, and compress the resulting chunk in transit), rather than
super-resource compression.

> And I would imagine reusing contexts would run into all sorts of
> data leaks by abusing compression...

That's why it got yanked from TLS, yeah.

Cheers

[1]: https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-kerwin-http2-encoded-data

--
  Matthew Kerwin