Re: exposing certificate information (current + upcoming)

On Fri, May 10, 2019 at 12:46:53PM +0200, Stefan Eissing wrote:
> Christophe Brocas (@cbrocas), organizer of Pass-the-Salt security conference, tweeted
> about checking HTTP server certificates against CT logs to detect very early if someone
> successfully highjacked one of your domains.
>
> A renewed certificate is often not immediately used on a server but activated on the
> next restart which can be several hours away. To check if a certificate mentioned in a
> CT log, one would need to obtain information about upcoming certificates as well.

If the certificate managment is automated, the time window between
obtaining the certificate from CA and deploying it to production
is typically much faster than few hours, typically few seconds to few
tens of seconds, altough some setups deploy in sub-second timescales
and some may take hundreds of seconds.

This is because the clients typically reload the webserver after any
run which changed the certificates (the craziest setups hot-reload from
inotify, or something similar).

Regarding using CT for highjack detection, there is proposed mechanisms
for CT "gossip" where clients send recently seen certificates or pointers
thereof to the webserver, which can then alert admins on reports of
unknown publically trusted certificates. I do not think there are any
concrete specifications about that however (only some drafts).

-Ilari