Re: HTTP Testing Resources

Hi,

Last year I wrote a web server tester library along with a handful of
custom test suites to automate testing/grading of students' assignments of
the Web Server Design course. While I think it is relevant here, I would
wait for some feedback before I decide to add it to the wiki. Here is how
it works:

First, write a template file (say, "malformed-header.http") for the request
data (which can be a single HTTP message or multiple messages put together
for pipeline requests) as following:

GET /foo HTTP/1.1
Host: <HOSTPORT>
Header with missing colon

Then write a test method in a test suite class, inherited from the base
tester class, as following:

@make_request("malformed-header.http")
def test_bad_request_header(self, report):
"""Test whether the server recognizes malformed headers"""
    self.check_status_is(report, 400)

From there, the test can be run against any HTTP server using the included
CLI or Web UI.

I am planning to improve it further when I will offer this course in the
Fall 2019.

Best,

--
Sawood Alam