Re: Prefer-Push, a HTTP extension.

On Fri, Nov 23, 2018 at 2:16 PM Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> wrote:

> Although folks are generally not as optimistic about Push as they used to
> be, I think there's still some appetite for considering it for non-browsing
> use cases; as such, this is potentially interesting.

FWIW there was some off list discussion on using Prefer Push for browser
resource loading. Allowing resource loaders (native or JavaScript based) to
express interest in specific types of content/destination. See:
https://github.com/evert/push-please/issues/8

> Pushing *all* of the resources -- or even a significant subset -- is
> likely to cause performance problems of its own, as there will be
> contention with any other requests made for bandwidth. This is one of the
> big things we've learned about push in the browsing use case, and I suspect
> it applies here as well.

That is the status quo which this spec improves upon. Rather than sending,
for example, all JSON or Atom subdocuments in one concatenated and
unprioritised blob payload, it splits them up and allows use of priorities,
streams, caching, de-duping, etc. Where is it shown that this is likely to
cause performance problems?