Re: Fixing cookies (Re: Some half-baked thoughts about cookies.)

On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 2:05 AM, Martin J. Dürst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>
wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 10:02:34AM -0700, Daniel Veditz wrote:
>

>>> No asking! Opinionated browsers could
>>> [impose a shorter max-age] today if they wanted to
>>>

> From everything I have heard about users and browsers, my guess is that
> users would blame the browser and switch to another browser.

If it's too short, sure. The length would be a decision the browser vendor
ought to make carefully based on data and user studies. The default would
no doubt have to be longer than the more privacy-conscious users would want
which is why a user-adjustable setting would be nice. I'm confident users
wouldn't even notice a cap of a year, for example, and that's a lot shorter
than the many "expires in 2038" cookies I see. What about a month? Probably
fine. A week? I think users would start noticing and get annoyed. But
that's just guessing and such a decision shouldn't be based on guesses.

-
Dan Veditz