Re: Some half-baked thoughts about cookies.

--------
In message <1759921.cfu6vzEqSt@hegel>, Rigo Wenning writes:

>I think we should stick to the ID and purpose discussion. Because
>IMHO and AIAL, this will serve data protection/self determination
>the most. (Yes I deliberately did not use "privacy").

Having slept on it, I have come to the conclusion that nothing
is really gained by the client informing the server that a
given session ID is to be permanent or transient.  Please forget
that idea.

So just to make sure we are on the same page here:

* The session-ID lives and dies with a single "UX session"
  (Ie: when the user moves to another site by means exterior
  to the shown content, bookmarks, type URL, close tab etc.
  the session-ID is thrown away.)

* A separate session-ID is used for each server contacted in a "UX
  session" (ie: www.example.com, img.example.com, example_com.cdn.com
  gets three different session-ID's)

If so, I am not opposed to the server sending back a routing-ID to
be used for subsequent requests in the same "UX-session" and to
be thrown away with the session-ID