Re: Some half-baked thoughts about cookies.

On Tue, Aug 14, 2018 at 2:18 PM Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu> wrote:

> Hi Poul-Henning,
>
> On Tue, Aug 14, 2018 at 12:07:21PM +0000, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> > PS:  64 bits is not enough for everybody, in particularly not when
> > they are randomly generated by less than perfect implementations.
> > Make then 128 bit from the start.
>
> No, that's what we discussed at the HTTP workshop 3 years ago already,
> putting too many bits will cause the inverse of what is desired, it
> adds unique client identifiers making tracking even easier and at the
> same time will make distributed server stickiness very hard if not
> impossible.

Can you point me to notes on this discussion? I'm quite curious!

For clarity, I think this identifier is supposed to make it possible to tie
multiple HTTP requests together into a coherent session, which (I think?)
means that a unique-enough identifier is essential.

> If instead we only place a few bits for routing information
> (say 16 bits) and place it upfront, all the routing information is
> present and there is no need to distinguish between multiple clients.
> The server will then be able to figure the real client from the
> decrypted traffic (potentially via another client-fed ID if needed).

Hrm. I might be misunderstanding the use of "decrypted" here, but exposing
any of the identifiers bits over plaintext is a non-goal of this proposal.

-mike