Re: Some half-baked thoughts about cookies.

Hiya,

On 14/08/18 11:38, Mike West wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> https://github.com/mikewest/http-state-tokens suggests that we should
> introduce a client-controlled, origin-bound, HTTPS-only session identifier
> for network-level state management. And eventually deprecate cookies.
>
> I think there's a conversation here worth having, and this group has
> thought a lot about the space over the last decade or two. I'd appreciate
> y'all's feedback, both about the problems the document discusses with
> regard to cookies as they exist today, and about the sketchy proposal it
> advances about managing HTTP state in the future.

I'd be very keen to see HTTP state management become more privacy
friendly, but I don't see how this moves us in that direction tbh.
Be happy to be wrong though.

Things that make me think that include:

- new unique IDs for clients seems like a bad plan (64 bits seems way
  too many from a re-identification POV), the idea of the web UA just
  automatically spewing those out seems particularly misdirected, if
  that is the idea

- I don't see how this'd incent web UAs nor web servers to behave in
  more privacy friendly ways, at best it seems neutral

That said, I do support discussing these ideas, just not (what I think
is) this particular less-baked plan in it's as-is state.

S.