Re: My question about client hints

From: Kenji Baheux <kenjibaheux@chromium.org>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2018 17:54:24 +0000
To: Eric Rescorla <ekr@rtfm.com>
Cc: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
It seems that the JS+cookie approach wouldn't work well for client hints
that might change in between accesses.
Resources that are sent up to the point JS can run and update its
understanding of a client's preferences will be inadequate in various ways.

In particular, this seems concerning for the save-data hint as it might be:

   - OFF initially because the user was on WiFi, or in their home country
   - ON for a subsequent navigation because the user is now on their mobile
   connection, or roaming abroad.

resulting in less than ideal bandwidth usage.