Variants and Client Hints

Hey Mark,

I'm working on a matching algorithm for bundled exchanges (
https://github.com/WICG/webpackage/issues/201), and I realized that a CDN's
use of variants will need a similar algorithm.
https://httpwg.org/http-extensions/draft-ietf-httpbis-variants.html#cache
is fairly clear about how to pick a "best" Variant-Key for the Accept-*
headers, but the introduction also mentions Client Hints, where matching is
less about string equality.

For example, if the client sends Viewport-Width: 350, and the server has
images that are ideal for Viewport-Widths of 320 or 400, which one gets
sent? I can imagine a couple options:

   - Only certain kinds of clients are supported efficiently. 🤢
   - The available-values are single numbers, and the spec says that a
   request for 350 matches the next smaller number.
   - The syntax of available-values defines ranges in some way, maybe using
   a syntax like CSS Media Queries or inventing a new syntax.

What do folks think this should look like?

Thanks,
Jeffrey