Re: New Version Notification for draft-jjmb-httpbis-trusted-traffic-00.txt

On Wed, May 23, 2018 at 3:24 PM Lou Steinberg <lou@ctminsights.com> wrote:

> Hi Ben
>
> Thanks for the comments. A couple of thoughts, though I am by no means an
> expert in Alt-Svc-SNI so please correct me if I get this wrong.
>
> I think the biggest concern was that the alt service may need to present a
> certificate for the origin (with TLS). We had explicitly tried to avoid
> having to manage certificates on the validator. Maybe that's worth
> reconsidering if this simplifies the process.

I think you can do this without managing any certificates on the
validator.  The validator can simply inspect the SNI, and then either
forward the entire TCP stream to the origin or drop it.

> Additionally, as I understand it, the client woukd still need to manage
> the expiration of Trust Tokens, but the client generally doesn't have
> access or visibility into the fact that alt services are in use. There is a
> freshness setting that allows an alt svc to expire, but I think the client
> is still permitted to continue to use the alt service after expiration.

I think this may be based on a misreading of RFC 7838:

   Clients with existing connections to an alternative service do not
   need to stop using it when its freshness lifetime ends; the caching
   mechanism is intended for limiting how long an alternative service
   can be used for establishing new connections, not limiting the use of
   existing ones.

This means that client does not have to tear down its open sockets, but it
cannot use an expired Alt-Svc value for establishing new connections.

> Can the validator send a misdirected request should this happen?

I don't think you need to worry about clients using expired Alt-Svc values,
but if you want to fail gracefully, you could have the validator forward
connections with expired Assertion Tokens to the "public" origin servers
that handle untrusted traffic.  The client will then get a new Alt-Svc
value, which will override their present value.