Re: draft-ietf-httpbis-replay-03, "5.1. The Early-Data Header Field"

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2018 16:39:05 +1000
Cc: Kazuho Oku <kazuhooku@gmail.com>, Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>, "Julian F. Reschke" <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
To: Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu>

> On 15 May 2018, at 4:11 pm, Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu> wrote:
>
> On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 03:42:10PM +1000, Mark Nottingham wrote:
>> SH doesn't allow empty header fields, FWIW.
>>
>> We also don't have boolean values, but it seems trivial to use an integer.
>
> Sure but integer also means parsing, deduplicating, and error path for
> what doesn't parse according to expectations.

But all of those things are already defined by SH for integers..

> Supporting boolean values
> "header field is present and non empty" could really be useful IMHO.

I think the question is whether they're useful enough -- as compared to just using an integer with a value constrained to 0 or 1 -- that it justifies the extra machinery (in the spec and in implementations).

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   https://www.mnot.net/