RE: draft-asveren-dispatch-http-overload

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply.

Quoting the full text from RFC7231 Section 6.6.3:

   The 503 (Service Unavailable) status code indicates that the server
   is currently unable to handle the request due to a temporary overload
   or scheduled maintenance, which will likely be alleviated after some
   delay.  The server MAY send a Retry-After header field
   (Section 7.1.3<https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7231#section-7.1.3>) to suggest an appropriate amount of time for the
   client to wait before retrying the request.

      Note: The existence of the 503 status code does not imply that a
      server has to use it when becoming overloaded.  Some servers might
      simply refuse the connection.

I agree that 503 with Retry-After may pertain to a specific request, to the server overload or to the application overload condition (actually the last two are probably the same as far as their impact/interpretation on the client is concerned IMHO). The problem I have is for server/application overload case. This is an issue mainly for environments where the client is not an end-device, e.g. browser, but a network entity. The relationship between a Session Processing Entity and Signature Server is an example of that (and there are many more in practice and it just keeps growing) :

                            +----------------+
                            |                |
                            |   Signature    |
                            |   Server       |
                            |                |
                            |                |
                            +----------------+
                             ^           |
                             |           |
                           POST         200
                         (JSON body   (JSON body
                        with claims)   with signature
X                            |         generated based on claims
                             |         and private key)
X                            |           |
                             |           |
X  Many end-devices          |           V
   generating many        +----------------+
X  new session requests   |                |
                          |   Session      |
X          -new session-->|   Processing   |--new session-->
            request       |   Entity       |request with signature

Why does the HTTP client being a network entity matter from overload perspective? The answer is the volume of traffic exchanged between client and server. In such a case, the need is not for a “per request” indicator but for one which would pertain to all subsequent requests to be sent to the server.

I think what you state as “ a protocol extension that adds more information” is what I am trying to achieve with this draft.

Thanks,
Tolga