From: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, April 30, 2018 7:45 PM
To: Asveren, Tolga <tasveren@rbbn.com>
Cc: ietf-http-wg@w3.org
Subject: Re: draft-asveren-dispatch-http-overload

________________________________
NOTICE: This email was received from an EXTERNAL sender
________________________________

Thanks for the responses. It would be really helpful if the draft
explained this.

FWIW, I didn't interpret Retry-After in the way that 5390 does. I
understood it to apply to the request, not the entire server. But you
will observe that this off/on problem only causes the bursty traffic
pattern described there if there are relatively few clients. Larger
numbers of clients will result in better distribution of retries.
That happens less often in HTTP than in SIP.

For the working group: Is the assumption that 503+Retry-After means
that the client should withhold all requests to the same server (I
assume that server ~=> origin in this case), the identified resource,
or is it just a single request? Worth an http-core issue?