Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-httpbis-bcp56bis-04.txt

Hi Mark,

Some notes below.

Regards,
Ariel

Quoting Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>:

> Thanks, Ariel.
>
> Incorporated, with some notes below.
>
>> On 14 Apr 2018, at 10:38 am, Ariel Otilibili Anieli
>> <otilibil@eurecom.fr> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Mark,
>>
>> Here is my review of this draft:
>>
>> 1. "HTTP-based APIs defined by standards need to more carefully..."
>>  runs more smoothly than "standards-defined HTTP-based APIs need to
>>  more carefully consider...".
>>
>> 2. "At the same time, the IETF has a tradition of protocol
>> reuse..." We could remove the contextual part "At the same time".
>>
>> 3. "These have more freedom to modify protocol operations" instead
>> of "These have more freedom to modify protocol operation".
>>
>> 4. "or stacking the application upon HTTP, instead of using it"
>> captures better the writer's mind than "or making the application
>> be based upon HTTP, instead of using it".
>
> "Based upon HTTP" is a phrase that's introduced in the referenced
> section; changing it removes the meaning.
>

>> 5. The document needs no more to warrant that "Applications using
>> HTTP MAY specify a minimum version to be supported (HTTP/1.1 is
>> suggested)": few lines above, it already
>> said: "When specifying the use of HTTP, an application SHOULD use
>> [RFC7230] as the primary reference". And [RFC7230] does refer to
>> HTTP/1.1.
>
> Created https://github.com/httpwg/http-extensions/issues/587
>

>> 6. "Because URLs occur in and are generated in HTTP artefacts
>> commonly, often without human intervention..." I did not get what
>> you have meant here.
>
> See revision.
>

>> 7. "Applications that use HTTP can use the well-known ports...or
>> they can be deployed upon others." stresses better the work of IANA
>>  than "Applications that use HTTP can use the applicable default
>> port...or they can be deployed upon other ports."
>>
>> 8. The sentence "This decision can be made at deployment time, or
>> might be encouraged by the application’s specification (e.g., by
>> registering a port for that application)." should be in the same
>> paragraph than "In either case, non-default ports..."
>>
>> 9. Moreover, "The usage of unknown ports can be made at deployment
>> time..." instead of "This decision can be made at deployment
>> time..." and "In either case, unknown ports will need to be
>> reflected..." instead of "In either case, non-default ports will
>> need to be reflected..." speak the same voice than Point 8.
>>
>> 9. Idem "Using an unknown port has privacy implications..." for
>> "Using a port other than the default has privacy implications..."
>
> I don't think that these changes are improvements.
Points 7, 8, & 9 do not improve on the content of text, indeed: they
add nothing new. But, I think they separate the concerns of this part:

  * Ports 80 and 443 are default ports, because they are well-known
  * In case other ports are chosen (either at deployment time, or at
specification), the following paragraph advises they be used so and so.