Re: Review of draft-ietf-httpbis-bcp56bis-03

Hi Mark,

A comment inline.

Regards,
Ariel

Quoting Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>:

> Hi Ariel,
>
> Thanks for the review!

>> On 8 Apr 2018, at 6:27 am, otilibil@eurecom.fr wrote:
>>
>> Hi Mark,
>>
>> Here is my review of this draft:
>>
>> 1. "At the same time, the Internet community has a tradition of
>> protocol reuse (e.g., Telnet [RFC0854] as a substrate for FTP
>> [RFC0959] and SMTP [RFC2821]), but less experience using HTTP as a
>> substrate."
>>
>> If the "Internet community" means "Internet Engineering Task
>> Force", the sentence should plainly state its name, and mention the
>>  protocols that the IETF has been building upon others, this
>> includes at least RESTCONF [RFC8040]; the NETCONF working group has
>>  built it upon HTTP (the reviewer made them acquainted with this
>> draft,
>> https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/netconf/current/msg14432.html). Maybe
>>  a survey to all the Area Directories?
>
> Yes. This is one of the few phrases from RFC3205 that has made it
> through unchanged. That said, this isn't meant to be a complete
> listing, just context.
>
> See:
>   https://github.com/httpwg/http-extensions/commit/c8b3454b28
>

>> 2. Unless one proves technical terms are legal persons, these
>> sentences sound weird to me:
>>    * these protocols’ use of HTTP
>>    * HTTP’s URL schemes
>>    * an application’s specification
>>    * HTTP’s behaviour
>>    * the application’s deployment is brittle
>>    * HTTP server’s name space
>>    * server’s authority
>>    * HTTP’s complexity
>>    * the protocol’s ability to evolve
>>    * the URL’s origin
>>    * the Web’s same-origin policy
>>    * the response’s headers
>>    * an application’s state.
>
> I don't think it's confusing to use a colloquial possessive when
> talking about the protocol; do you have preferred alternate phrasing
>  that isn't too awkward? Changing these to "The [object] of HTTP"
> and  similar seems clunky to me. Also, the RFC Editor tends to weed
> out  the worst issues of this nature.
>

>> 3. "...the HTTP APIs defined by the IETF need to more carefully..."
>>  emphasizes better the work of the IETF than "...standards-defined
>> HTTP APIs need to more carefully...".
>
> There's a bit of a line being walked here. While the main focus of
> the document is IETF-defined protocols, other organisations do
> define things based upon HTTP, and we don't want to exclude them if
> they choose to adopt this.
>

>> 4. Some underscored words come across the document:
>>    * using HTTP (twice)
>>    * protocols based upon HTTP
>>    * generic semantics
>>    * based upon HTTP
>>    * generic
>>    * as.
>
> Ah, this is an artefact of using Markdown; fixed (please tell me if
> I missed any in the next draft).
The full list in the current draft:
# curl -sL
https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-httpbis-bcp56bis-03.txt | grep
206:   document, we say an application is _using HTTP_ when any of the
232:   An application might not be _using HTTP_ according to this
238:   Such applications are referred to as _protocols based upon HTTP_ in
294:   Much of the value of HTTP is in its _generic semantics_ - that is,
373:   [RFC0793] if not), or making the application be _based upon HTTP_,
664:   IETF Review (see [RFC7232]), and are also required to be _generic_.
986:   consider the application _as_ a Web application, and to follow best