RE: SNI Extension for Alt-Svc

*waggles hand back and forth*

Technically, you could renegotiate and request a different server identity, but something tells me that’s prohibited somewhere.  (I thought it was in RFC 6066, but I don’t see it.)  At any rate, I doubt there are any TLS implementations that support that and even fewer that test it.  I wouldn’t count on the ability to do this under HTTP/1.1.  So you’re correct that an HTTP/1.1 alternative would only be able to work with a wildcard subdomain certificate in the handshake, and HTTP/QUIC would need a Secondary Certificates port.

From: Lucas Pardue [mailto:Lucas.Pardue@bbc.co.uk]
Sent: Friday, December 1, 2017 10:19 AM
To: Mike Bishop <mbishop@evequefou.be>
Cc: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>; HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>; Patrick McManus <mcmanus@ducksong.com>
Subject: RE: SNI Extension for Alt-Svc

The two pieces are inter-related.  The parameter recommends using a different SNI, which therefore isn’t guaranteed to get you the certificate you actually need to verify.  As Ilari pointed out, it might still be the right certificate – but if it’s not, you need a channel to retrieve the correct one post-handshake.

Right. Is that possible with HTTP/1.1? I.e. through renegotiation or something?

Lucas