Re: Working Group Last Call for Using Early Data in HTTP

On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 08:20:51PM +1100, Martin Thomson wrote:
> PR here:
>
> https://github.com/httpwg/http-extensions/pull/440
>
> On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 6:03 PM, Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu> wrote:
> >    Note that trying to determine upfront which requests are safe and
> >    which ones are not in a set of pipelined HTTP/1.1 requests while
> >    waiting for a handshake can be quite challenging and is therefore
> >    not recommended, since ordering will need to be preserved in
> >    first safe requests and waiting for the handshake before processing
> >    unsafe ones.
>
> That seems like too much to me.  How about we remove the offending
> sentence.  The need to buffer is implicit.  Also, there is some
> question about order preservation with pipelining, so maybe we can
> instead agree that pipelining isn't important enough to waste text on.

I totally agree. As I mentionned in the issue tracker, we need to keep
in mind that all this is an optimization and we need to stay pragmatic :
anything becoming complicated isn't worth the trouble, and in the end
those dealing with HTTP/1.1 will simply process one request at a time
and wait for the handshake if needed (that's what we do in haproxy BTW).

Willy