Re: DRAFT: more details for HTTPtre

From: Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2017 07:07:25 +0100
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Cc: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, Patrick McManus <mcmanus@ducksong.com>
Hi Mark,

On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 01:03:50PM +1100, Mark Nottingham wrote:
(...)
> The intent here is to end up with something like this set of documents:
>
> a) HTTP Architecture and Core Semantics - currently parts of RFC7230, all of
> 7231, plus more text on abstractions
> b) HTTP/1.1  - connection management, mapping to TCP transport
> c) HTTP Conditional Requests
> d) HTTP Range Requests
> e) HTTP Caching
> f) HTTP Authentication
>
> We *can* combine (c) (d), (e), and (f) into (a), but for simplicity's sake I
> think we should at least start by keeping them apart.
>
> Does this seem reasonable?

All this seems reasonable to me. However, I'd purposely move b) to the
end of the list, to ensure that we have a whole set of version-agnostic
documents and that only the last one has to be swapped with whatever we
want for the transport.

We should also take a look at 7540/7541 as there are a few references
to 1.1 when it comes to gateways, which means to me that some elements
might be missing in the semantics part (eg: cookie header concatenation
probably, and stuff like this).

Regards,
Willy